Rock the Ocean
Rock The Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival was created to generate awareness and raise funds for ocean conservation.
The Rock The Ocean Foundation is the 501(c)3 non-profit that focuses on 5 core values; turtle conservation, shark conservation, coral reef degradation, overfishing, and Marine Pollution. Each year, a portion of the proceeds from Tortuga are donated to the Rock the Ocean Foundation. With the help of Tortuga fans, we have raised over $2,000,000! These funds have gone to over 60 partners in ocean conservation, 5 universities, and sponsored research in the United States, Bahamas and Asia!
What is Conservation Village?
Each year at Tortuga, Rock The Ocean Foundation curates a distinguished list of more than 30 worldwide thought leaders in Ocean Conservation to create our annual roster of Conservation Village partners. These groups are hand selected to participate on site at Tortuga because they are leaders in their field of expertise. Our roster is filled with groups like the Broward County Sea Turtle Conservation Program which is responsible for sea turtle conservation on our festival site to international conservation groups like Bimini Biological Field Station Foundation and Sharks4Kids.
Conservation Village is located in the center of the festival grounds and the activation is arranged to represent the 5 Core Issues of the Rock The Ocean Foundation which include Shark Conservation, Turtle Conservation, Marine Pollution, Coral Reef Degradation, and Overfishing.
What is there to do in Conservation Village?
We offer several fun, interactive activities to learn about all the ways you can help save our oceans.
Virtual Shark Dive – Take a virtual reality shark dive in Rock The Ocean Headquarters with our partners, Sharks4Kids. Fans take a dive in the deep and learn more about how they can turn fear into fascination!
Complete the Passport to Conservation – Come get your Passport stamped by meeting and speaking to over 20 of the top ocean conservation groups in the world, learn valuable and practical ways that YOU can make a difference in saving our oceans. Once you have completed your Passport to Conservation you can be entered to win cool prizes, including Tickets to Rock The Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival 2021!!
Catch a Pop Up Show – Did you know some of the artists stop by Conservation Village? Every year, Tortuga Artists visit our partners and stop by the Rock The Ocean tent to perform a few hits. To catch a show, follow Rock The Ocean socials for show times & performances.
Join our Live Auction – Tortuga Fans can bid on a variety of items and experiences including a custom Rock The Ocean guitar autographed by Tortuga’s performers. Stop by Rock The Ocean Headquarters and ask for more information.
Ocean conservation is woven into the fabric of Rock The Ocean’s Tortuga Music Festival. We make great efforts to make our event eco & ocean-friendly!
Ways we’re making a difference:
- Reduce Single-Use Plastics: Did you know globally the equivalent of one dumpster truck of plastic is dumped into the ocean every minute? That’s why we have taken steps to reduce single-use plastic at the festival with the goal of being 100% single-use plastic-free.
- 2019 Highlights:
- ELIMINATED plastic straws. Ocean friendly paper straws are always available on request.
- ELIMINATED plastic water bottles. Instead ice cold canned water and water refill stations were available for fans.
- All food vendors helped reduce single use plastics by using paper/compostable food boats, plates, and cutlery
- With the help of Clean Vibes and the Broward County Outreach Food Shelter, 59% of waste generated by fans and festival crew was recycled or donated in 2018.
- 2019 Highlights:
- Support Sustainable Food Systems: Did you know that 90% of the world’s fisheries are now fully exploited, over-exploited or have collapsed entirely? Tortuga Music Festival is committed to only serving sustainable seafood. This means that any seafood item served at the festival must be caught or farmed in environmentally responsible ways, as defined by The Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program.
- 2019 Highlights:
- The majority of produce served onsite came from within 200 miles of the festival site.
- Seafood vendors in 100% compliance with sustainable seafood policy
- All meats served onsite came from animals raised without the use of antibiotics or hormones
- 2019 Highlights:
- Ocean Conservation Awareness Education: Throughout the festival, you’ll find conservation awareness signage and campaigns educating fans on sustainable practices. Between acts, we feature on-screen PSA’s educating fans about our Conservation Village partners and their missions.
- Preserve and Protect Local Marine Habitats: With the support of local partners, our goal is to leave the beach better than we found it. Tortuga Music Festival works closely with the Florida Department of Environmental Protection, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation and US Fish and Wildlife Service to minimize the festival’s impact on the beach. From the light and sound levels to where structures are placed, we work closely with these groups to make sure we are not disrupting critical habitats.
In summary, Rock The Ocean & Tortuga Music Festival are working to pioneer a new form of edu-tainment by providing fans with a fun-filled, memorable experience while simultaneously making a difference. Tortuga Fans have gotten behind our efforts and together we are truly able to ROCK THE OCEAN! Learn More About Us
Rock The Ocean continues raising funds for ocean conservation throughout the year by selling Rock The Ocean apparel and donating 100% of all apparel proceeds to ocean conservation programs.